Friday, May 9, 2008

Fake Journalism

You know those "human interest" stories that news services do? The ones that could very well be completely isolated cases, give you little to no context, offer no solutions or provide any applicable lessons, but exist entirely to pull the ol' heart strings? Yeah, I hate those. So I'm going to do one in the form of a photo essay.* Please forgive me, I just have to get this out of my system.

Today on my lunch hour, I started snapping photos. Please forgive the blurriness, my phone is not a real camera. Here's what inspired me to start the series:



What you can't see because of the camera and because I didn't want to stand in the middle of LaSalle Street to take the photo is that the sign says "Morrow's, Since 1866." What you can clearly see is that Morrow's is no longer in business. If you were to look very closely at a photo that I will not publish, Morrow's is being turned into a Subway. Meanwhile, on half the cabs and buses in town, Bank of America would like you to know something:



America may be the Land of Opportunity, but Chicago is a very special place. Not only is there opportunity, there is more opportunity. Bank of America's message is being taken to heart, though, and is doing its part to combat the decline in consumer confidence that's contributing to the recession. How do I know? Because of this homeless guy, who I'm not sure can talk, but gives me a toothless smile and exaggerated series of nods while offering me a little American flag on a toothpick every time I walk by.



I bet that guy's going to be even more patriotic when the IRS wires that economic stimulus into his bank account!

The End! Yay America!

*I suppose this wasn't much of an essay. More of a long-winded haiku with pictures.

No comments: