Thursday, January 3, 2008

Iowa Reactions

I'm not going to get too in-depth here, but some initial reactions:
  • 10% for Ron Paul, 3% for Hizzoner. Looks like Rudy got Abner Louima-ed.
  • Not a great night for McCain. He needed to bump off The Sandman Fred Thompson, but now Thompson has a reason to stick around. He's got to win New Hampshire to stay in this.
  • Thompson tied McCain. I'm willing to bet he's as bewildered as the rest of this.
  • Ron Paul is on his way to making a legitimate splash in the poll numbers. He may be a gadfly, but he's a well-funded gadfly with an incredibly devoted, vocal following.
  • Edwards surprised me. I thought he'd do better. He can stay in it if he beats Hillary again in New Hampshire, but if he doesn't, he's done.
  • Hillary's speech has been described as "dirge-like." She's still got 30 point leads in some major, major states, but after the drubbing she's going to get from Obama in New Hampshire on Tuesday, she's going to have to fight like hell to keep that lead.
  • If Obama pulls out the nomination (and it is still an "if"), Bill Richardson is going to be his running mate.
  • If Romney loses New Hampshire, he'd better start a revolution in Michigan. He's on the ropes. At least Giuliani has the benefit of being able to say, "well, I wasn't even trying." Romney tried real hard in Iowa and lost by no small margin. He's in trouble.
  • Chris Dodd is out of the race. I'm upset that I won't be able to vote for him, but I look forward to seeing him replace Harry Reid.
Since Dodd is gone, GO OBAMA!

No comments: