Monday, October 1, 2007

The Hardy Boys & the Case of the Mondays

My day has been a little hectic this morning, so posts may be light or non-existent today. However, in checking my email, I found something I wanted to mention.

Joe Biden is all hot and bothered about how he put a resolution through the Senate, with massive bipartisan support, which would move the strategy in the Iraq war towards creating a "soft partition," by which local ethnic groups function largely as autonomous entities and participate in a stripped down federal government, a la Articles of Confederation. It strikes me as a good plan, a plan some of us suggested four years ago would be the only option for reconciliation in Iraq, and I'm really happy the Senate agrees. However, it's worth being reminded that this resolution was a non-binding, "Sense of the Senate" resolution: a recommendation, not a law or official policy. In short, the Senate is trying to guide Iraq policy with Smiths lyrics.

Biden has a good plan and he should be proud of it, but don't let him or any of his cheerleaders convince you that this vote means a damn thing.

No comments: