Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Satire

I plan to spend a good portion of my night writing about my experience in Grant Park, why I think Obama will be such a good president, and closing the books on the 2008 presidential campaign as much as I can. However, as I am a dutiful son of the Lutheran tradition of senseless devotion to work for the sake of work, I decided to cut short my "sick" day and come into the office, so I can't really do that right now.

However, I do want to say something briefly to temper my optimism. I received a text message this morning that read as follows: "Let us pause to lament the passing of decent political satire in the forthcoming four years."

1) Have faith in your comedians, America.
2) A large part of political satire is giving us the ability to laugh at our crappy circumstances. And while we've taken the first step onto a better road, our national and global circumstances remain pretty crappy.
3) Let's be realistic. No world leader has EVER been so perfect as to avoid becoming a target for satire.
4) For as liberal as the comedic realm generally is, they have to make a living making fun of something.

For example...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well, then...

Last week I received an urgent call on the office telephone informing me that the checks I had ordered from my bank to replenish my recently emptied check dispensing wallet had been intercepted in the mail. The bank employees' suspicions arose when a gentleman brought one of the checks to one of their branches and attempted to cash it to the tune of one thousand dollars. It was reportedly written in two different colors of ink. The memo field simply read, "rent". Now I know for certain that one Jeffrey Johnson is not the owner of the building in which I rent my domicile, nor is the monthly fee anywhere close to the amount he felt was due to him. While I would normally be inclined to be angry at such a transgressor, I will in keeping with our newly kindled spirit of coming together under hope and unity dismiss his actions. I am certain he was overcome by the joy of sharing and decided to get a jump-start on "spreading the wealth around a bit".

(cymbal crash, tuba blast)


How's that? Aw, who am I kidding - it was stiff and anticlimactic. Give me some time to get my chops back.

True story though.